About Me

My photo
MFA in Writing at Vermont College

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Burying Saints!


Two weeks ago we decided to put our house up for sale.  It has been a whirlwind ever since. 

 










Get an agent!



Clean the house!



Get storage unit!



Move excess household items to storage!



Meet with financial guy!



Clean the house again!



Open House!



Bury St. Joseph!



Wait… what… did that say bury St. Joseph?



That is correct; an old Catholic tradition states that when selling a home it is helpful to bury St. Joseph upside down, facing the street.   Once the sale is complete St. Joseph is dug up and displayed in a place of honor within the new home. 



Our house had not been on the market for no more than a few days when I received a package in the mail from my Aunt Laverne.  Inside was a statue of St. Joseph with burial and prayer instructions.  Thanks Aunt Laverne!










The very next day my wife and I dug a hole.










We gently buried St. Joseph upside down facing the street.

 









We said our prayers.













We expect an offer soon!



But while I am waiting for that offer I have decided to do a little research to see if there is a Patron Saint of Writers.  Guess what I found?



St. Francis de Sales!

 











That’s correct; St. Francis is the patron Saint of Writers.  



The story goes that St. Francis traveled through the mountains of Switzerland spreading the word of Catholicism.  However, Switzerland at the time was staunch Calvinists and refused to even open the door when St. Francis called.  So he took to writing them notes and sliding them under the door.  Soon he had converted 40,000 people to Catholicism and was appointed the Bishop of Geneva in 1602.



I have currently ordered every statue of St. Francis I can find on the internet.  I am tearing up the floorboards underneath my writing desk and plan to bury every single one of them face down directly underneath my computer.

 

Hey, I will take any help I can get!


No comments:

Post a Comment