About Me

My photo
MFA in Writing at Vermont College

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Chasing My Story


I went home yesterday to visit my mother for mother’s day.  It was warm, the sun was shining and my Dad had the lawn furniture out to enjoy.  It was the first real summer day of the year and I took advantage of the day.  Boy did I ever take advantage of the day.


You see my sister also brought my niece and nephews home for the day as well.  What could be better than an afternoon in the sun with my nephews!
 

We played baseball!










We played soccer!
 

We played in the sandbox!
 

We had running races around the house!










We played more baseball!











We went to the local park where I was a monster and had to chase them up and down the slide!


We rode scooters up and down the street!













We searched for ants!


We played tag!


We sat for a moment! Just a moment!











Grandma blew bubbles and we chased them across the yard!


We watched cartoons for about thirty seconds!


We ate ice cream!











And we played more baseball!










It was a really great two hours spent with my nephews.  Quality time I will always remember… because my lower back will remind me for years to come.

Today I sat down for a relaxing day of writing.  But I ended up chasing my story all afternoon.   My characters were constantly running away from me and I could not seem to catch up to them.  They were always one step ahead of me.  I am worn out! 

What is their motivation?  What do they want?  What do they need?

I asked all the questions but there was no answer.  My characters simply ran all over the page, never tiring, exhausting me in the process.  Not even an ice cream break would calm these characters down. 

Oh well… nothing a good night’s sleep can’t cure.  I will be back to chase them around tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment